I woke up earlier than usual this morning to go to Dr. R's and get the pins and stitches removed from my finger, so I thought I'd take the time to explain the process to those who are interested.
WARNING: Do not read if you are squeamish. I do not know how gross this will get and will not be held responsible for any fainting, puking, pale skin, etc.
Anyway, I got to the office a little early and was called back immediately. One of the nurses showed me my exam room so I could put my bag down and then took me to the x-ray room. She took three x-rays of my hand (still in the ace bandage) and then led me back to my exam area. I could hear Dr R say, "Okay, looks good. Pin removal it is." I waited for a few minutes, and then my nurse came back in. She started pulling various instruments and gauze out of the cupboard. Small scissors, benadine, a pair of scissors with one flat side, and a pair of medical pliers. Two things scared me about these medical instruments, one- the lack of any sort of syringe filled with numbing medicine and two- the white towel she then pulled out and put in my lap. I looked quizzical so she said "Just to protect your clothes." My first thought was "WTF? Am I going to be a geyser or something?!"
Before I had too much time to worry Dr R was back in the room. He asked if I had ever had a tooth pulled and I said yes (all four wisdom teeth and a couple troublesome baby teeth). He then told me a BIG lie. "Oh, well this isn't as bad as that." HA! Yeah right. He grabbed the pliers and took hold of the first pin. One small yank and it was out. "Hmm not so bad," I thought. I can do this again... Then he took hold of the second pin. YANK! Nothing. The pin didn't want to move. YOW! Did that one hurt. He tried again, pulled harder, and the pin came out. Then his nurse took out the two stitches. A couple more x-rays and I was done. I got a prescription for occupational therapy in case I need some help moving my finger again.
So basically, I'm all healed. I already got to drive again and am typing with TWO hand for the first time in almost three weeks. It's nice to be able to move my wrist again and lie my hand flat.
Once Lando Calrissian (as we call my little brother) gets home from his dentist appointment, we are going to the University to meet up with Lease. I can't wait to see her and cause some trouble up at the college. They'll be glad to only have one Barimo in their school once we're done.
No comments:
Post a Comment